Korean Monster’ Ryu Hyun-jin (36), who succeeded in resurrection, is back.
Ryu Hyun-jin entered the country through Incheon Airport on the 18th. Ryu Hyun-jin, who has had an eventful year, plans to take a break with his family in Korea. He plans to start preparing for the next season according to the established schedule. Ryu Hyun-jin, who qualified as a free agent, was unable to give a definite answer about whether he would remain in the U.S. or return to Korea.메이저놀이터
Ryu Hyun-jin, who underwent elbow ligament joint surgery (Tommy John surgery) last year. There were predictions that it would be difficult for him to make a comeback due to his young age, but Ryu Hyun-jin, on the mound, showed himself as the Toronto Blue Jays ace. Although his velocity has decreased, he has taken on major league sluggers with razor-sharp control. In particular, he froze hitters with a speed of 100km and a slow curve.
Ryu Hyun-jin, who showed off his martial arts skills. In the 2023 season, he started all 11 games and played 52 innings, leaving a record of 3 wins, 3 losses, and an ERA of 3.46. And Ryu Hyun-jin’s four-year, $80 million contract with Toronto ended in 2020, and he entered the free agent market.
Ryu Hyun-jin’s return to the KBO League was expected, but he plans to continue his career as a player in the Major League. In an interview with local media, he also expressed his desire to “remain in the United States.”
Next is a Q&A with Ryu Hyun-jin.
– How do you feel about returning home?
He said in December last year that he would be able to return for the second half of the season. I think he did well enough just to come back after rehabilitation.
– Weren’t you disappointed that you didn’t have a chance to pitch in the postseason?
I fully understood (about the team’s choice). He was still preparing for the Wild Card Series and beyond. I hoped to keep winning if possible. I couldn’t do that. The season is over, but there seems to be no regrets.
– I became a free agent again. What will happen next?
I still don’t know.
– Do you have any thoughts on returning to Korea?
I think it’s difficult to say yet. I think we need to watch the situation a little more. I think it may take time.
– In an interview with local Canadian media, he expressed his intention to remain in the Major League. What are your thoughts?
I think it’s natural if there are enough stories. Otherwise, I don’t know how things will turn out. It seems to be a problem that requires time.
-What are your plans in Korea?
After resting, I plan to start training. I always try to prepare the same way for training. Preparing for the season is the same. I think I need to get in shape so I can play a full season next year.
– You said that you wanted to spend the last part of your career at Hanwha.
That feeling remains unchanged. Of course I will.
– The Asian Games performance was good. Did you watch the juniors’ game?
I didn’t see the entire game. I saw the highlights. It seems like young players went out and presented gold medals. Players must continue to lead Korean baseball in international competitions. I think this win will help me a lot.
– How do you look back on the past four years in Toronto?
There was COVID-19, and I moved to Toronto and played in Buffalo. A lot happened. It seems like time has passed faster than I thought.
– Juniors who grew up watching Ryu Hyun-jin are challenging the major league. Lee Jeong-hoo also recently decided to try out for the Major League. How does it feel?
Lee Jeong-hoo is recognized by everyone as Korea’s best hitter. I hope you adapt quickly. I think he is a player with sufficient competitiveness.
– Jose Berrios was kicked out early in the second wild card game. How did it feel to see him in the dugout?
There is nothing a player cannot do. This is a situation that must be accepted. It may be disappointing from the player’s perspective. Still, it was early in the game, and no goals were conceded. The player may be disappointed, but there is nothing he can do.
– Weren’t you disappointed that Seungwoon didn’t follow you?
I wasn’t good at it.
– Many people are concerned about the decrease in restraints. Do you think arrests will increase next year?
I think it will get a little better next year. I am satisfied with just returning this year.
– Do you plan to train with your juniors in Korea?
It may change depending on how (the future) is decided. Still, I think the training will continue the same way, so I think I will train with my juniors.
– What kind of time do you want to spend in Korea with your children?
I think my wife will do well.
– A word to the fans.
She gave me a lot of support and encouragement during my surgery and rehabilitation. Thank you. I will do my best to give you joy with a good performance on the mound.